Fruitcake Knits

A sporadically updated blog that encompasses many creative activities
 

FO: Queen of Hearts Shawl

Started September ’06, finally finished!
Pattern: Queen of Hearts
Yarn: Jojoland Melody, probably color Y09. A bit under 5 balls.
Needles: 3.75mm (US 5) Crystal Palace bamboo circs

I think when I started this, I didn’t intend to make it so big. But since I brought it on the trip with me, I just kept knitting, not wanting to have to sit down and figure out how to finish the shawl. Oh yes – about a year ago, I thought I was close to finishing the shawl, so I gave the pattern to a friend. Then I didn’t knit on it for a year. Oops. I have no idea if how I finished the shawl matches what the pattern calls for, but it doesn’t really matter, does it?

Finished size is “big-ass”. 40″ deep, or about 80″ across. Big and cozy? The shrubs seemed to enjoy it.

Next stop: adding yarn stash to ravelry. I will have partial yarn pr0n from the trip for the next post, next year.

Comments (4) December 30, 2007 @ 10:52 am |

FO – Spirit of the Southwest shawl

(10 days is less than two weeks, right?)

Pattern – Spirit of the Southwest shawl from Fibertrends
Yarn – Grignasco Regina. Near as I can tell, this stuff is almost exactly identical to Skacel Merino Lace. Both are 100 grams and both are 2/25; the Grignasco is marked as “1250 m – 1363 yards” and the Skacel as “1375 yards”. Now if that ain’t close enough for cowboy work, I’m not Neil Young. Finally… look at this. (Also your yarn porn of the day!) Do those look identical to you? Yeah. I asked Google to confirm this… it appears as if nobody cares. Huh.
Needles – 3.5mm circs
Cast on – Jan. 7
Cast off – Jan. 17

Finished the body of the shawl, save three mostly plain rows, on Saturday night… by Sunday afternoon I realised that the edging would be a breeze. The pattern called for 1200 yards of Zephyr; my 1375(ish) yard hank had plenty to spare. ) Finished the shawl late yesterday afternoon, making it right at 10 days to knit the whole thing. Nice to be able to say that, but not a feat I’d like to try again anytime soon! I covet my flittability!

Conveniently enough, Brotherling’s room is still mostly tidy from the post-boy-leaving cleaning tornado, but has not yet been refilled with random furniture and boxes of treasure. This left his room available for blocking – well isn’t that handy. For the first time, I tried blocking by running some crochet cotton through the various parts… why didn’t I try that sooner? So much easier to make everything even and takes only about 3 dozen pins. (Not like, uh, running out of pins on the last two doilies – yes, I have aquired some new pins since.) So here it is – totally unblocked – click at your own risk ; shawl blocking, with a yardstick down the center to show size. Then for the entertaining task of finding a place other than the roof to take a picture. Holy lack of contrast, Batman! Let’s try that again…

Heh heh heh. It looks like the second rabbit from the right of center is sniffing the butt of the third rabbit.

Hard to get decent details on the picture of the whole thing, ain’t it. Better shots of the corn last post and the butterflies before that. And of course there’s the rabbits and the squash blossom lace –

Those points came out pointy, eh? Could gouge somebody’s eye out!
(grumblemutter, the one day I have a post ready before 10 AM, my blog is down until late evening. yay! something something upgrade!)

Comments (0) January 18, 2006 @ 9:44 pm |

“… flutter in the sunlight above mountains” … who writes this stuff?

Up to row 161 on the Spirit of the Southwest shawl, hoping I can reach the goal I set myself for this shawl – two weeks. The Pacific Northwest shawl took a week for the body and a week for the edging; why should this shawl be any different? Well… uhh… today I pulled out the PNW pattern and saw… uhh… the body of the shawl has 178 rows, ending with 365 stitches. Spirit of the Southwest shawl? 202 rows, ending with 413 stitches. Am I glad I opted for smaller needles than last time! To have reached only 17 rows shy of the original goal with two days to spare gives me hope that I can finish it in time – especially since in the past six months I’ve picked up some tricks to make the edging easier – and if I don’t make it… well, it wasn’t a reasonable goal in the first place. Funny how that works.

This is what the pattern describes as “Butterflies flutter in the sunlight above mountains” – not very evenly stretched out, if I may state the obvious.

And then the rows of corn, even more unevenly stretched out. I didn’t want to add a third circ into the mix for the pictures just yet.

The corn was the most frustrating chart I’ve done in a while – the rows with “k13” or “k16” between the lacey bits would get me back into garter stitch / plain row mode, even with stitch markers in the mix. But the corn is done and gone now and I’m on the river lace… the whole thing is coming together nicely.

Random picture of laceweight for Zibi Bois’ eyes only – or anybody else who cares. I was going to do another yarn pr0n post this week… but my Elann order shipped on the 3rd is still somewhere in postal limbo… sigh. Just as well – I don’t need it distracting me!

Comments (0) January 12, 2006 @ 6:51 pm |
Next Page »