Fruitcake Knits

A sporadically updated blog that encompasses many creative activities

yarn binge

Last post I said I would have partial yarn pr0n… only partial. See, lately I’ve gone on a bit of a yarn binge. Not even going into what I bought on the trip (a lot)… this past week in Dallas has been pretty bad.

The main culprit: The Woolie Ewe. Those vile temptresses. They had their annual end-of-year sale last Saturday. Everybody who arrived before 8am recieved a 50% stamp on their hand, good all day. The logical response would be to arrive at 7.30am, yes? Not so much. The earliest I could get there on the bus would have been after 8am. (Saturday bus schedules suck.) I didn’t particularly feel like walking 4 miles to get to the store. And since I hadn’t been in Dallas for three weeks, I was out of touch with my yarnie pals who would drive me over. So, being a stupid college student, I decided to take the last bus there – at 10pm – and camp out overnight. The temperature was around the low 30’s.

So I slept in front of the store for a few hours, periodically waking up to wonder if there were thugs or police in the area to make the time pass more quickly. Around 2am, I was too cold to get back to sleep, so I walked around and tried to knit while shivering for a little while. After I’d warmed up a bit, sleep won out. About 3am, Tasha and Liz showed up! Hooray! After determining that I was not actually a homeless bum, they invited me into their warm car. I wasn’t freezing for about an hour – then the other cars arrived… and we claimed our place at the front of the line. Before the store opened at 5am, at least 40 insane knitters were standing there. The line snaked around the side of the building, so I couldn’t count past that.

Right before the store opened, the Ewe placed out some grab bags – assorted yarns stuffed into a bag that was priced $5 or $10. There was no mass chaos, grabbing and shoving to get the desired grab bags – but I wouldn’t have been surprised if there were. These were my downfall, as I picked up two massive bags of R2 paper. I really have no clue what to do with the yarn, but I came away with this pile of yarn – that’s 22 balls, half of them white – for $10. But the best portion of the sale was not the grab bags – it was the 50% off everything. I’m not going to show how much trouble I got into. I finally succumbed to the temptation of the eye candy of “Victorian Lace Today”, bought even more laceweight, and… well, the shopping bags that the Ewe gave out were giant white trash bags. That’s the level of purchasing that most people there did.

It took a few days to recover from the madness that was the Ewe’s sale. Then I took the train out west to Fort Worth and went hunting for yarn shops. I’ve been to a lot of the shops in Fort Worth before – my first week in Dallas, some friends spirited me away on a yarn crawl – but I didn’t know how to get there without a car. The first stop was Jennings Street Yarn, which was a very brief walk away from the train station. I escaped with only this…

… and a few patterns, and another needle that I might have already had. Oops. My next stop was Yarns Ewenique. Unfortunately, I am not as good at getting on the correct bus as I’d like to think I am, and ended up going east instead of west. It was an interesting tour of Fort Worth, though! Eventually I found the correct bus and went a-yarning. Though I’ve only been there twice, YE is probably my second favorite shop in the Metroplex. What I bought there will wait for the next post, as it’s already a WIP. And with those two shops my FW yarn adventure ended, because I had to account for the likelihood of me taking the wrong bus in my timetable for catching the train home again.

Then, as if the yarn binge weren’t bad enough – I’m not listing most of it because of the sheer volume of yarn – yesterday I went back to the Ewe to see how they had recovered from the sale. This was a horrible mistake. In the clearance section was one of the grab bags I’d seen on Saturday – how it survived the day without being bought is beyond me. The contents, all spread out:

That’s 7 balls of Mondial Spot (50% wool/50% acrylic, 53m per 50g ball, calls for 5.5mm needles) in orange-ey.
4 balls of Gedifra Donatella (80% wool, 20% polyamid, 65m per 50g ball) in one color, 3 in another, and 2 in a third color.
And the random balls – one ball of Lana Gatto Chimera, one ball of Katia Bolero, one ball of Katia Sonrisa, and one ball of Muench Dynasty. And guess how much this whole bag cost? $5. For the whole bag. That’s any combo meal at any fast food place.

Then Jill started to show me some of the other amazing bags left from the sale. I resisted most of them, but something about that Mondial Spot kept calling to me. I picked out two bags – the orange is the same dye lot as the 7 random balls in the first grab bag. The other is a purpley-pink. I didn’t remember if 900 yards of a heavy yarn like that (4 sts/in?) would be enough to make anything for me, hence the second bag. The two colors, together, are very “7 year old girl” to me. This kinda works for me. Each of those bags was $10. Definitely a good end to an exciting week of yarning. So the question is… who wants to come to Dallas for the Ewe’s sale next year?

Comments (1) January 5, 2008 @ 2:16 pm |

1 Comment »

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Leave a comment

Smilie list